Secular Saints

Stories, Essays, Poems. A Fumbling Attempt At Theology.

Name:
Location: Crested Butte, Colorado, United States

My stationary says I'm a treeehouse builder, teacher, church planter, pastor, gardener, poet, writer, runner, cross country skier, philosopher, husband, father. It's all true. It can be ehausting, as you can imagine. In October 2003 my family and I left a small town in South Dakota (I was pastoring a church) and returned to the Gunnison Valley, where we lived for a couple years in the mid-nineties. We came here to plant a church, a task for which we are completely unqualified. My wife and I recieved a NOT RECOMMENDED stamp from a rather extensive assessment conducted by our denomination. The folks in Crested Butte didn't care. Neither, it seems, did God. Well, that church has since run its life course. Now I do construction and teach a writing class at Western State University. I also recreate with my beautiful family, read, theologize and write short stories (some of them are at cautionarytale.com and iceflow.com; others are in a book called "Ravens and Other Stories" -- available from Amazon, etc., or publishamerica.com).

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Haiku Series: The Sun Cleans My Hair

The sun cleans my hair,
golden fingers caressing
my scalp like liquid.

The raven calls out,
a beggar looking for bread.
He eats noisily.

Snow falls sweet on trees
like a silky white blanket
covering giants.

Rocks have hard faces
looking out on the soft world
weary from long years.

The mountains are wrapped,
swaddled in billowing mist
like creation’s edge.

We endure like dust:
blown to the edges of time.
Can this be enough?

I imagine God
on the edge of creation,
the black light to him.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Frye said...

I really like the Haikus. Thanks for the time you spent creating them and for the beauty and peace they bring to me.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home