Secular Saints

Stories, Essays, Poems. A Fumbling Attempt At Theology.

Name:
Location: Crested Butte, Colorado, United States

My stationary says I'm a treeehouse builder, teacher, church planter, pastor, gardener, poet, writer, runner, cross country skier, philosopher, husband, father. It's all true. It can be ehausting, as you can imagine. In October 2003 my family and I left a small town in South Dakota (I was pastoring a church) and returned to the Gunnison Valley, where we lived for a couple years in the mid-nineties. We came here to plant a church, a task for which we are completely unqualified. My wife and I recieved a NOT RECOMMENDED stamp from a rather extensive assessment conducted by our denomination. The folks in Crested Butte didn't care. Neither, it seems, did God. Well, that church has since run its life course. Now I do construction and teach a writing class at Western State University. I also recreate with my beautiful family, read, theologize and write short stories (some of them are at cautionarytale.com and iceflow.com; others are in a book called "Ravens and Other Stories" -- available from Amazon, etc., or publishamerica.com).

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Day in Dakota

And the wind never stops,
and the water never looks like glass
but rather like a ploughed field,
and the few trees strain
in a losing battle to remain straight,
or else give up and grow low and squat
thick fingered limbs splayed.
And car becomes carp,
flitting across the road.
The wheel is a living thing in my hands.


Corn and soybeans where the ocean roared.
No more buffalo roaming
through eight foot prarie grass:
wide open spaces cut into square mile sections,
defied by spontaneous lakes,
arising out of dimples in the land
shallow havens for slimy weeds, fish,
and waterfowl tourists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home