Secular Saints

Stories, Essays, Poems. A Fumbling Attempt At Theology.

Name:
Location: Crested Butte, Colorado, United States

My stationary says I'm a treeehouse builder, teacher, church planter, pastor, gardener, poet, writer, runner, cross country skier, philosopher, husband, father. It's all true. It can be ehausting, as you can imagine. In October 2003 my family and I left a small town in South Dakota (I was pastoring a church) and returned to the Gunnison Valley, where we lived for a couple years in the mid-nineties. We came here to plant a church, a task for which we are completely unqualified. My wife and I recieved a NOT RECOMMENDED stamp from a rather extensive assessment conducted by our denomination. The folks in Crested Butte didn't care. Neither, it seems, did God. Well, that church has since run its life course. Now I do construction and teach a writing class at Western State University. I also recreate with my beautiful family, read, theologize and write short stories (some of them are at cautionarytale.com and iceflow.com; others are in a book called "Ravens and Other Stories" -- available from Amazon, etc., or publishamerica.com).

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Fundamentals: Love Again

This is only a little thing, but it helps me think about the nature of love in the cosmos.  I started by describing the birthplace of stars, the explosive violence at the center and beginning of the universe.  That’s the macro picture of love. 
Now for the micro.  Since about 1959 some biologists have become increasingly aware of horizontal gene transfer, where-in an organism shares genetic material with another which is not its offspring®.  That’s like me giving you a coat if you’re cold, or you bringing me medicine when I’m sick.  I think Jesus had a few things to say about that.  As we become more complex systems of cells, we lose the ability to be altruistic naturally.  It’s no longer part of how we operate.  But it’s still there, peeking out in the most unlikely places: love, whether it’s clashing and roiling, or slipping useful adaptations among cells, or giving hard earned cash to anyone less fortunate than yourself, the love of God, the love who is God, reflected in creation.


® The other kind of gene transfer is vertical, just to keep our metaphors straight.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home