Secular Saints

Stories, Essays, Poems. A Fumbling Attempt At Theology.

Name:
Location: Crested Butte, Colorado, United States

My stationary says I'm a treeehouse builder, teacher, church planter, pastor, gardener, poet, writer, runner, cross country skier, philosopher, husband, father. It's all true. It can be ehausting, as you can imagine. In October 2003 my family and I left a small town in South Dakota (I was pastoring a church) and returned to the Gunnison Valley, where we lived for a couple years in the mid-nineties. We came here to plant a church, a task for which we are completely unqualified. My wife and I recieved a NOT RECOMMENDED stamp from a rather extensive assessment conducted by our denomination. The folks in Crested Butte didn't care. Neither, it seems, did God. Well, that church has since run its life course. Now I do construction and teach a writing class at Western State University. I also recreate with my beautiful family, read, theologize and write short stories (some of them are at cautionarytale.com and iceflow.com; others are in a book called "Ravens and Other Stories" -- available from Amazon, etc., or publishamerica.com).

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Nate's Love

This was written for a writing contest. I can't remember the rules. I think it won something.


The steer wasn’t going for me, but he got me. He was tied so he couldn’t stand, but his head sure could move. I was pulling my brand, “Lazy H,” from the fire when he turned his horn. The tip ripped through my coveralls, tore a big hole in my thigh.

I’m bleeding bad and need help. I cut the steer loose, but first I brand the sumbich. I stagger to the truck, but with no strength in my left leg, I can hardly shift.

I’m feeling woozy after a mile banging through the fields. The truck lurches dead. Then I see Nate Jackson, the new neighbor. He came out here two years ago, “swept in with Kennedy,” we say at the cafe. He doesn’t know that Deadwood’s no place for blacks.
Nate rides over on his gelding, hat back. Doesn’t say a word, just climbs in. I shove over. He drives and talks.

Says his grandfather, Roy, rode trail with Nat Love, a.k.a. Deadwood Dick. Roy took a distant second to Love’s first in the 1876 Deadwood rodeo. They drifted out of Dakota Territory together, fighting Indians and working cattle. Even got jobs together as Pullman porters, toward the end.

We finally make it to the hospital in Deadwood. I need blood. Nate donates a pint. While they’re pumping it into me, he leans over and says, “Used to be, one in four cowboys had black blood.” “This is two for two,” I wink up at him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home