Secular Saints

Stories, Essays, Poems. A Fumbling Attempt At Theology.

Name:
Location: Crested Butte, Colorado, United States

My stationary says I'm a treeehouse builder, teacher, church planter, pastor, gardener, poet, writer, runner, cross country skier, philosopher, husband, father. It's all true. It can be ehausting, as you can imagine. In October 2003 my family and I left a small town in South Dakota (I was pastoring a church) and returned to the Gunnison Valley, where we lived for a couple years in the mid-nineties. We came here to plant a church, a task for which we are completely unqualified. My wife and I recieved a NOT RECOMMENDED stamp from a rather extensive assessment conducted by our denomination. The folks in Crested Butte didn't care. Neither, it seems, did God. Well, that church has since run its life course. Now I do construction and teach a writing class at Western State University. I also recreate with my beautiful family, read, theologize and write short stories (some of them are at cautionarytale.com and iceflow.com; others are in a book called "Ravens and Other Stories" -- available from Amazon, etc., or publishamerica.com).

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Wounded Knee: Summer 2001

This poem appeared in The South Dakota Review and in my book, "Ravens and Other Stories". If you've never been to Wounded Knee, or any other massacre site, you need to go.

Wounded Knee: Summer 2001
A thin sidewalk
marks the dumping ground,
overlooking killing ground.
You lie beneath, suspended
jumble of bones.
In old photographs
we saw corpses frozen,
black against the snow,
caught by death in motion.
That bleak grey paper brought
the air conditioned gallery a different chill.
But here there is only the concrete,
the granite marker and the hills.
And miles stacked on miles of blue, blue sky.
This stark, dusty air makes winter
a bitter dream,
like those photographs seem
here in this peaceful place.
Today tourists, sad for the dead,
wander the dust above your heads,
pitying, leaving,
while the children of your children
stand in the dust
of their receding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home